All of us have grown up hearing, “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” Well, this statement could not be any truer. The benefits of eating fruits and vegetables can be seen and felt almost immediately. After eating a variety of fruit and vegetables, the first thing you notice is that you become more regular, the next thing you notice is an improvement in your skin, your complexion and how radiant you look. Why? The reason behind these significant health benefits are found in the high water, vitamin and mineral content of fruit and vegetables as well as the high fiber, which detoxifies your system. The fiber contained in fruit helps to cleanse your digestive system naturally, and the vitamins and minerals help to replenish and renew the skin from the inside out, and we all know the benefits of drinking water to help to flush the system of waste products and rehydrate the body. Maintaining adequate hydration levels is one of the most important factors for good health and healthy hair and skin. Since our bodies are 90% water, you can see how important this single factor would be.
Additionally, when our bodies are deficient in vitamins and minerals, our hair, skin, and nails all suffer. The body will not rob itself of valuable nutrients to provide for auxiliary functions like hair and nail growth. So, maintaining a sufficient balance will help ensure that there is enough to go around.
How can you get the benefits of 5 fruits and vegetables a day?
• Eat it - Fresh, frozen, chilled, canned or raw fruit and vegetables.
• Soups - Add lentils, beans, chick peas, corn, potatoes, carrots, turnips and other vegetables to your soups to get the benefits of added fiber.
• Drink it - Pure fruit juice.
• Juicing - A great way to get all the benefits of fresh vitamins and minerals by using a juicer to extract the juice from your favorite fruits and veggies. This is particularly good for people who don't like eating fruit and vegetables. Apples and carrots are a good combination to enjoy. Add a little Norwegian kelp powder if you like it green! I personally use a Jack LaLanne juicer and love it.
• Smoothies - Enjoy the goodness of fresh fruit by throwing your favorite fruits into a blender and getting all the nutrients you need from a fresh fruit smoothie. Add yogurt for extra flavor and to aid in digestive health.
• Sauces - Pasta and other sauces containing fruit and vegetables such as tomato.
• Desserts - Eating desserts containing fruit.
No matter how you choose to enjoy your fruits and veggies, remember to do so daily for optimal health.